Monday, March 23, 2009

Ford Motor Company Avoiding US Help

Over the past months, Ford has taken steps to avoid taking money from the Government, which its rivals GM and Chrysler chose to do.  Ford has committed itself to buying back its debt and has put forth plans to further reduce or eliminate its debt.  

I have always been a fan of Ford (my dad owned a Mustang when I was younger, so I formed a loyalty), and they are supporting that belief now.  Seeing a company work to survive on its own, without relying on the government to save it, makes me happy.  GM jumped at government intervention very quickly, which caused me to lose confidence in their company and their management.  

Some may view Ford's moves as stubborn, but I think they are a model by which the other companies should act.  GM and Chrysler got themselves into their current situations, and should have to face the consequences of those actions.  Instead, they were rewarded for their reliance on debt by getting billions in tax dollars.  

After seeing how AIG handled their bailout funds, I am skeptical of GM and how they are using our money.  Ford, by avoiding involvement in the government bailouts, you have gained my respect and my trust.  Thank you for showing the world that a company can take responsibility for its actions.  I wish you the best.

To read the full description of Ford's plan, visit Bloomberg.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment